Greetings on a Friday!
For more information about any of the items below, please visit: www.tomlabonge.com
- Tom welcomed new Los Angeles Fire Chief Millage Peak, whose appointment was announced by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa today.
- On Thursday, the Councilmember helped open the beautifully rehabilitated Alexandria House Apartments in Koreatown. The 16-unit building provides low-income housing, social services and child care to its tenants. The agency restored the building with $3.5 million in bond money and a $2.725 million loan from the Community Redevelopment Agency. Because of its high level of energy efficiency, Alexandria House Apartments also earned an additional $200,000 loan from a Los Angeles Housing Department/Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) program. Congratulations to everyone at Alexandria House! http://www.lacity.org/cra/quarterly_reports/hollywood/Wilshire_Center.pdf
- The fires continue to burn in the Angeles National Forest and other parts of Los Angeles County. The Los Angeles County Director of Public Health Jonathan Fielding urged residents who live in areas where they can see smoke or smell it to be cautious and to avoid unnecessary outdoor activities. For more information, please see the attached flier. The second flier attached here lists (on page 3) cooling centers for senior citizens in Los Angeles County.
- This is not great weather for gardening, but it may be just the right time to attend a free LADWP workshop on low-water-use landscaping. The workshop is designed to help people adapt their landscaping to the new city-wide water restrictions. The final workshop in this series is being held this weekend: Saturday, Aug. 29, 8a-12n at 1350 Sepulveda Blvd., West L.A. Parking is free. Space is limited, so please RSVP at (800) 544-4498. For more information, click here: http://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/cms/ladwp012460.pdf
- If you're interested in embarking on a school or community improvement project, you'll want to attend the upcoming Community Beautification Grant Workshop in Council District 4. The workshop is 90 minutes long and answers any questions you might have about the City's wonderful Community Beautification Grant program. The workshops are free and do not require an RSVP. The workshop will be held on Thursday, Sept. 3 at 6 p.m. Los Feliz Library, 1874 Hillhurst Ave., Los Feliz 90027. The deadline for the 2009/2010 grant applications is Oct. 20, 2009. For more information call (213) 978-0226 or visit www.CBGrant.org.
- Got computer and electronic junk? Take it to the Household Hazardous Waste event tomorrow, Saturday, Aug. 29, 2009, 9a-3p. in the Ride-Aid Parking Lot, 3566 Rodeo Place (Off Crenshaw Blvd.), Los Angeles 90018. For information about what will be accepted, please click here: http://www.lacitysan.org/solid_resources/special/hhw/e_waste.htm
- Mark your calendars for the City of Los Angeles' 228th birthday. This event is celebrated every year with Los Pobladores Walk from San Gabriel Mission to El Pueblo in Downtown Los Angeles. Walkers begin at 6 a.m. and are greeted with festivities at about 9 a.m. at El Pueblo. Fore more information, click here: http://www.lospobladores.org/history-walk.htm
Have a safe weekend. Stay cool. And remember to enjoy and love Los Angeles.